[lug] Re: Linux Hardware Was: Linux on HP

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Fri Jul 14 08:50:57 MDT 2000

First off, let me say I think putting Linux on a $10,000 Netserver is a
little different than putting it on a $400,000 HP 9000. I understand
your point though.

Sounds like you are in the same boat we are here for Linux. Linux is
still in a "we don't trust it" stage so the won't dedicate a really nice
server for it. It runs our intranet (several active pages but mostly
static), LDAP, UPS shipping software and our Helpdesk. All on a no-name
PII 350 with 256MB RAM. I probably wouldn't have even gotten that if it
weren't for the Helpdesk software.

Recently we had major problems with the Helpdesk that the Helpdesk
company attributed to either disk or memory...both of which are of
questionable quality on this PC (I refuse to call it a server). Luckily
instead of that just getting everything moved to NT it was decided to
bring in a nice new box to replace this one. Now I finally get to buy a
real server for Linux.

It makes me feel so bad every time we get a nice server in and NT goes
on it.
--

----
Kyle Moore