[lug] Linux Cluster Hardware

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Fri Jul 14 11:34:48 MDT 2000

> From: Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:03:07 -0600
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> Subject: Re: [lug] Linux Cluster Hardware
>
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 11:37:05AM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>> The Network Appliance boxes are quite popular.  www.netapp.com
>> They provide an NFS interface to their local storage.
>
> Be careful with the NetApp boxes.  They do require some knowledge of how
> NFS works and how to tweak NFS performance in high-bandwidth
> environments.  I have a friend who's happy with hers (she read the
> manual and understands NFS) and a customer who's had quite a bit of
> trouble with theirs running with all standard configs to Solaris
> systems.
>
> It's not 100% plug-and-go (avoided the use of the overused phrase
> there...) but if you're willing to take some time to set it up right,
> it'll do you nicely.
>
> Like any of the other "network appliances" out there that are replacing
> the old beloved big iron Unix machines doing the same chores, the price
> tag can look mighty steep on some of these boxes also... considering
> that if you set up a proper NFS server it'll do what the NetApp box does
> just fine.

No it will not.

> The only advantage to using network appliances appears to be when
> the vendor has really tweaked the hardware design to match the purpose
> of the system.

Bzzt.  Thanks for playing Nate, tell him what he's won Bob.  Here's your
Rice a Roni.

You have really done the NetApp boxes a disservice by characterizing them
solely as an NFS replacement.  That's like calling Claudia Schiffer "not an
ugly goat."

Your "only advantage" above may have been true 3 years ago with the first
NetApps, but today's product is so chock full of features it is no longer
soley an NFS box.  Yes, you must have clue, but no, you can't build a NetApp
yourself, nor will a homemade NFS filer perform like a NetApp (ever), the
hardware isn't the half of it.

Chris