[lug] Converting people

David dajo at frii.com
Fri Jul 14 14:56:39 MDT 2000

I should like to persuade someone to use Linux instead of 9x and NT.
This is a *total* non-technical person, a plain user who is, however,
quite skillful with the MS products.  You can assume that the
technical stuff is handled by someone else.

So, below is a list of a few applications that must be covered by
Linux equivalents, there will be a few others that I have missed.  The
question is: can anyone give me some suggestions on what to use?  I
have heard of Applixware, Star Office, and others, but I know zero
about any of them, or even if these are the right packages.

Is it feasible to sit down someone like this in front of, say, a Linux
spreadsheet, and have that person pick up the necessary knowledge just
by clicking around?

If anyone can give information on pitfalls, significant differences,
gotchas, etc., that will be great.

Word
Excel
PowerPoint