[lug] DNS, named and RH6.1

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Jul 15 20:40:08 MDT 2000

Hi John,

There's some mixing of terminology in your message, but no big deal.  I
think I know what you're trying to do.

First:  If you're building a caching nameserver, you don't need any zone
files on your server, by default.  The server simply builds a cache by
doing queries for your machines to other nameservers.

(For the moment we'll avoid 127.0.0.x reverse zone, broadcast zone,
and a localhost zone... all nameservers should have those to comply
with the RFC's.)

So... you're actually attempting to build a nameserver that is
authoritative for the zones in question, it would appear from your post.
But not registered with a registrar.  Nothing wrong with that, DNS
admins do this all the time to have names resolve to different IP
addresses inside organizationss than those same names do outside from
the Internet, so it's a valid setup, and of course, if you're just doing
it for the learning experience, that's cool too!

The issue with the @ in your zone file is an ORIGIN statement problem.
That appears to be the cause of the double ajstarkey.com.ajstarkey.com.

Post a copy of your named.conf and your zone file to the list and I'll
be glad to help you out.  Or send it privately if you like...

Of course the ultimate authority on DNS on Unix systems is "DNS and
BIND".  It's starting to get a little dated again, and needs a fourth
edition (or maybe it already has it), and you can pretty much ignore
most of the information about BIND 4 in it (if you're running BIND 4 on
public machines, you're nuts at this point.).  But it's descriptions of
how DNS works and what specifically to do with that knowledge to set up
a BIND server is nice to have in a single book.  I'm looking forward to
seeing similar work for BIND 9.

Anyone else notice that Cricket Liu (Acme Byte and Wire) has closed up
shop and sold out to NSI?  I was hoping to go take one of their advanced
classes on BIND 9 someday... sigh.  BUMMER.