[lug] Mutt Question - Attachments

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Jul 15 20:55:25 MDT 2000

Recently I have had a number of folks say that if I send them
attachments from Mutt they can see them, but if I forward a message with
attachments they can not.  (Or if I forward an interesting meeting
announcement from Wayde, which is what actually started this thread with
a friend...)

I'm running Debian 2.2 (Potato Frozen Release Candidate) with Mutt
version 1.0.1 .

The folks who are complaining are usually running Windows-based mail
clients like Outlook, Outlook Express, or Netscape Mail.  This
particular friend is running Netscape Mail on a number of different
types of client machines (BSD, Linux, etc...), and the result was
similar.

Of course, they said they couldn't read the attachment but I didn't get
a whole lot of information on what it actually looked like.  (Was there
really an attachment that was just garbled, or what...?)

Anyone else run into this or similar?  I have this feeling that there's
some underlying common problem here I'm missing.

Here's the lines that appear to deal with forwarding in my .muttrc file:

#set forward_decode             # weed and MIME decode forwaded messages
set forward_format="FWD: [%a: %s]"      # subject to use when forwarding
messages
#set forward_quote              # quote the header and body of forward
msgs

Is the forward_decode not being turned on doing something strange?

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>