[lug] Re: GIMP: is CMYK imprtant for monochrome work (fwd)

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Jul 18 08:33:15 MDT 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:36:28 -0600
From: Garet Denise <garet at rmi.net>
To: alt-photo-process-l at skyway.usask.ca
Subject: Re: GIMP: is CMYK imprtant for monochrome work

Peter,

Why would you want CMYK capabilities (color) for printing
Ziatype (monochrome)?

If you are starting with a color original scan and need to
generate a B/W negative I suggest that you read "Converting
Color to Black and White" by John Paul Caponigro in the
Nov/Dec '98 issue of PhotoTechniques.  I assume that GIMP
has available most of the basic tools needed to process and
mix color information as described in this article.

Garet Denise
Garet at Cornerstone-Inspection.com