[lug] CHAP PPP dialup

Anders Knudsen aknudsen.96 at alum.mines.edu
Tue Jul 18 14:22:11 MDT 2000

At 04:16 PM 7/17/00 -0600, Kyle scribbled:
>I have a client that I need to establish a ppp connection to. I was
>given a sheet with information on it for the connection by one of our
>reps. From the errors I am getting I guess they use CHAP authentication.
>Aparantley, I have been blessed in the past because I haven't had
>problems with ppp connections in a long time. I don't know what
>information I am supposed to use and where it goes. Here is the type of
>stuff they gave me on the sheet:
>
>IP Address: 123.456.789.1
>Hostname: user.something at something
>Password: normalpassword

I never had much luck with the auto setup tools, so I just did it manually.
If the ISP is using CHAP or PAP, as most do, then you need to set up the
chap-secrets or pap-secrets file in /etc/ppp.
My pap-secrets (my ISP is using PAP) looks like this:
# client       server      secret         IP
my_user_name   *           my_password    *

Then, you don't let the chat script enter the username and password, that's
handled by pppd using the pap-secrets. The chat script should end after it
sees CONNECT.
In your /etc/ppp/options file, you want to add "hide-password". Make sure
that pap-secrets is only readable by root, or by the user who's password is
in there.
Then i just use the script /etc/ppp/scripts/ppp-on to initiate the ppp
connection.

-anders.