[lug] mail servers

Jim Ray jimr at linuxmall.com
Wed Jul 19 09:28:25 MDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:20:47AM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:
> What's everybody's favorite mail server software and why?

We use Postfix, also my personal preference, quick and easy to configure.  After doing Sendmail for 4 years, Postfix is easy. http://www.postfix.org

The aliases file is much like sendmail and you can have more than 1.  The logging is default mail logging like sendmail.  And like qmail it is very secure.

We have used qmail in the past but it's license is not completely open source due to some restrictions in it.  That and the way it handles aliases is personally very annoying, each alias has to have it own .qmail file.  And your choices are very limited as to what you can use for mailing list software.  And the logging mechanism is just way too complicated for my taste.

--
Jim Ray
Lead System Engineer