[lug] mail servers

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jul 19 09:07:19 MDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:28:25AM -0700, Jim Ray wrote:
>We have used qmail in the past but it's license is not completely open
>source due to some restrictions in it.  That and the way it handles

How is it not open source?  You get the source...  It's not GPL if that's
what you mean...  The only restriction is on distribution of *MODIFIED*
copies.  Considering it's security focus, I can understand why he would
want to limit the distribution of binary copies.

>aliases is personally very annoying, each alias has to have it own
>.qmail file.  And your choices are very limited as to what you can use

It doesn't *HAVE* to work that way.  The stock qmail supports this
"qmail-users" thing which is kind of like /etc/aliases.  There's also
add-ons to support /etc/aliases and .forward files.

However, I actually *LIKE* the .qmail files for one simple reason: they're
easy to write programs to manipulate.  You say you want to update the
forwarding for e-mail going to root?  "echo '&newaddr' >~alias/.qmail-root".
You want to remove forwarding?  "rm ~alias/.qmail-root".  Having had to
write programs to deal with sendmail aliases, I can say that the QMail way
is MUCH easier to deal with.

Sean
--
 Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. Computers are from hell.