[lug] mail servers

Tom Tromey tromey at cygnus.com
Wed Jul 19 09:14:02 MDT 2000

>> We have used qmail in the past but it's license is not completely open
>> source due to some restrictions in it.  That and the way it handles

Sean> How is it not open source?  You get the source...  It's not GPL
Sean> if that's what you mean...  The only restriction is on
Sean> distribution of *MODIFIED* copies.

Many people accept that "open source" is a term with a specific
meaning, defined here:

http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

My understanding is that qmail doesn't follow restriction #3, "Derived
Works".

If you use "open source" in some unspecific way, well, then it can
mean whatever you want.  IMO it is better to use the term in its
specific sense, and use a different term for things that are less
open.

Tom