[lug] Red Hat 6.1 NIS fails

B O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Tue Jul 18 20:16:57 MDT 2000

Hello,

This message has been posted to both CLUE and BLUG (in frantic hopes
that someone can help with it <g>).

I have been unsuccessfully trying to get NIS running under Red Hat 6.1.

The ypserv 1.3.9-1 patch has been applied.

It seems to load: I get messages during startup that it has bound to the
NIS domain and it selects the name for the NIS server during startup and
I don't see any errors in the message logs. The various yp deamons are
listed under "ps ax" along with the portmap and inetd, with portmap
that it is loaded and available.

But when I issue a "ypcat passwd" command, nothing happens other than
the screen shows a new prompt line. This occurs both on the server and
the client on another computer.

If someone thinks that they can help with this, please let me know what
files you'll need or contact me off list and I'll send a phone number.

Thanx.

BOF