[[lug] mail servers]

Peter Janett pjanett at healthwell.com
Fri Jul 21 02:51:22 MDT 2000

I use Qmail, as it's the most robust solution I have found.  Hotmail and
some of the other free setups use it to send out mail.

In my web experience, it's great.  I can send out 20,000 emails at a time
for a newsletter, and it won't miss a beat.  Sendmail has trouble with such
things, and tends to kill the process if it gets and error along the way.

I don't have too much experience other than web based stuff, but I
researched the options about a year ago very extensively for a hotmail type
setup, and Qmail was the best choice.

One thing to consider is your needs, i.e. how many users, and how do you
want to keep your user database.  Do you need SMTP AND POP, etc.

Both Qmail and Qpopper have many add ons to use MySQL, LDAP, etc for user
authentication.

Qpopper is probably another program to look into.

HTH,

Peter Janett

New Media One Web Services
WEB HOSTING FOR WEB DEVELOPERS