[lug] mail and network problems

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Sun Jul 23 14:16:55 MDT 2000

jstarkey2000 at netscape.net asked me to relay this to y'all, since he's having
trouble posting messages here.

I am having some crazy problems that are over my head. Which will explain all
the replies I've recieved but
haven't replied to.

First. Is it safe to assume that if I telnet into port 25 on my ISP'sserver and
I get a relay denied message that
the problem originates on their server. Tech support guy actually gave me this
schmeel (sp?) about a time when he
thought his car blew up but he had run outta gas. I have told these people that
I can't send outside of their
domain when I am using their port 25???

Ok now into the mass of confusion. First, if anyone has the time could you
explain the theory, besides the
obvious, behind /sbin/route. Everything I thought I had figured out has been
blown away since TCI hooked up
broadband yesterday. How many entries do I need for one internet connection? I
thought I had it down to one:

route add default netmask 255.255.255.128 gw 24.15.40.129

These are coming directly from TCI's config on my girlfriends windows box
(thanks for the idea Justin). Oh and by
the way. TCI had an outage the same time I was trying to get route set up. The
modem didn't reset. I tried turning
it off. No luck. So I tried installing TCI software again. Blew the thing up.
I'm loading Solaris 8 as I type. On
more for UNIX. Serves her right. She paid someone $60 to reinstall Windows
while I was away. Linux is still too
confusing for her.

Anyway. I degress. Just thought I'd add an inspirational note.

Ok. So I thought the above was the only route entry I needed. ifconfig is setup
with the same entries. The DNS is
entered in linuxconf (is there a conf file I can use instead of the GUI??

Ok one more question before I get into the heavy stuff (if anyone has time to
help). I have two choices. I'd
eventually like to try both.

1) I figure out where to put the tulip.c file for my DEC 21140 NIC or
2) I try the 2 fer 1 deal on NIC addys.... umm Network aliasing (eth0:1 with an
addy of 192.168.0.2. But how do I
route this?? Would it be my 24.15.40.242 (the addy TCI assigned me) as the gw
to default??

Ok. Sorry one more question. Has anyone found a work around for TCI's strictly
DHCP policy?? I got the run around
with them. 3 people told me no problem and 2 told me they no longer do statics
in the @home dept. @work is a
little to high for me but I've got 3 domains I am trying to host.

   Thnks,

   John