[lug] DirecPC & Linux ?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jul 23 23:33:19 MDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 10:02:26PM -0600, arnie wrote:
>if at all, this will work w/ Linux. I am hoping it is as simple as
>hooking the dish up to the NIC, as w/ the Cisco 675 I used for DSL.

Not likely.  DirectPC is one-way -- you still have to use your modem
for sending data out, and it comes back via the sattelite line.  As I
recall, it uses an internal card, and is not supported under Linux.

Bi-directional sattelite systems are MUCH more expensive, expect to spend
around $400/month for the lowest usage plans, and realize that because
of the additional distance the signal has to travel that you're talking
around half a second latency on that line.

Sean
--
 One person's data is another person's program.
                 -- Guy L. Steele, Jr.