[lug] re: mail and network problems

jstarkey2000 at netscape.net jstarkey2000 at netscape.net
Sun Jul 23 19:46:33 MDT 2000

>If you are dialed into that ISPs dialup and get a relay denied, then they
>haven't correctly set up the list of IPs that are allowed to relay.  They
>need to fix that.  You *MAY* be able to work around it by authenticating
>with their POP server before making the SMTP connection, but they should
>still allow relaying...>

Is there a command which will take you port 25 from 110?

>route add default netmask 255.255.255.128 gw 24.15.40.129

>Why are you putting a netmask on your default route?

Didn't know any better. I'm still new to the netmask thing. I thought they all had to match up (within their networks, ie all 192.168's that need to speak need to have the same subnet). My interpretation was that you could have two separate 192.168 networks that won't clash by using different netmasks.

>You did use a different IP address, or disconnect your girlfriend's machine
>when setting up your own?  Also realize that if you are taking her IP,
>you will have to wait for the ARP cache on the router to time out, or
>force sending your own gratuitous ARP packet before it will recognise
>you.  This may be on the order of 5 minutes you have to wait.

Ok. That may be it. I'm sure that several times I got caught by this one. I loaded Solaris on her box once I wrote everything down, but my iMac has been using this addy too. I thought you only had a problem if two packets were coming in with the same IP so I made sure I eliminated any sockets (correct term??) before using Linux.

>You will need a route entry for the local network that your IP and the
>remote router is on (that's where you want the netmask -- make sure the
>broadcast address is correct too, or you won't get the proper ARPs).
>Then you need a default route.

Ok this is where the terminology gets me. These are the networks I see and the routes I thought I needed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

TCI's gateway ----- to ---- Infinite madness (the net)

route add -net default gw 24.15.40.129 (w/o the netmask this time)

my IP (24.15.40.242) ----------- to ----- TCI's gateway

This is taken care of by the above default route.

192.168.0.0/24 ------ to ------- 24.15.40.242 (or TCI's gateway)

I think you explained this, MASQ takes care of this routing. (see below)

>You'd have to set up your Linux machine to masquerade the 192.168 >addresses,
>and the boxes on that net would use the 192.168 address of the Linux
>machine as the gateway.

I see what you are saying. Thought I'd tried this though. Being the newbie that I am I thought I could get away with using the old ppp0 script (changing ppp0 to eth0). Like this:

echo 1 >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ

There is one other mistake I made. I gave my windows 98 CD away without making a startup disk. Now that I moved my eth0 with the two hard drives to the faster machine I _think_ part of my problem is that I need to load dos and use the manufacturer's config app for my card. Am I wrong?? Once the card is put into another slot you have to reconfig?? In ifconfig the addy and IRQ stayed the same but I am getting multiple

eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR-0x43, ISR=0x2, t=638.

messages (dmesg). The t variable keeps changing (212500, 1000, 1000, 1500). The only other thing I can think of is IRQs colliding. I am searching for the IRQ file (or whatever it was I saw several months ago that lists them).
I don't see anything in dmesg showing IRQ 9 (other than eth0) but "SIS5513 will probe IRQs later" is there with no followup.

>I've heard they periodicly scan your machine looking for services running,
>and if you have them enabled they will drop you.  I don't know why they
>wouldn't just block that sort of incoming connections...

Errrrr.... They suck. Maybe the cable will go well with the TV???

Thanks,

John