[lug] Route again. Another long confusing post.

jstarkey2000 at netscape.net jstarkey2000 at netscape.net
Sat Jul 22 21:43:51 MDT 2000

I can't believe it. I'm actually using webmail. First time. I'm scared.

I am having some crazy problems that are over my head. Which will explain all the replies I've recieved but haven't replied to.

First. Is it safe to assume that if I telnet into port 25 on my ISP'sserver and I get a relay denied message that the problem originates on their server. Tech support guy actually gave me this schmeel (sp?) about a time when he thought his car blew up but he had run outta gas. I have told these people that I can't send outside of their domain when I am using their port 25???

Ok now into the mass of confusion. First, if anyone has the time could you explain the theory, besides the obvious, behind /sbin/route. Everything I thought I had figured out has been blown away since TCI hooked up broadband yesterday. How many entries do I need for one internet connection? I thought I had it down to one:

add 24.15.40.242 netmask 255.255.255.128 gw 24.15.40.129

These are coming directly from TCI's config on my girlfriends windows box (thanks for the idea Justin). Oh and by the way. TCI had an outage the same time I was trying to get route set up. The modem didn't reset. I tried turning it off. No luck. So I tried installing TCI software again. Blew the thing up. I'm loading Solaris 8 as I type. On more for UNIX. Serves her right. She paid someone $60 to reinstall Windows while I was away. Linux is still too confusing for her.

Anyway. I degress. Just thought I'd add an inspirational note.

Ok. So I thought the above was the only route entry I needed. ifconfig is setup with the same entries. The DNS is entered in linuxconf (is there a conf file I can use instead of the GUI??

Ok one more question before I get into the heavy stuff (if anyone has time to help). I have two choices. I'd eventually like to try both.

1) I figure out where to put the tulip.c file for my DEC 21140 NIC or
2) I try the 2 fer 1 deal on NIC addys.... umm Network aliasing (eth0:1 with an addy of 192.168.0.2. But how do I route this?? Would it be my 24.15.40.242 (the addy TCI assigned me) as the gw to default??

Ok. Sorry one more question. Has anyone found a work around for TCI's strictly DHCP policy?? I got the run around with them. 3 people told me no problem and 2 told me they no longer do statics in the @home dept. @work is a little to high for me but I've got 3 domains I am trying to host.

Thnks,

John