[lug] re: mail and network problems

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jul 24 10:10:05 MDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 09:46:33PM -0400, jstarkey2000 at netscape.net wrote:
>Is there a command which will take you port 25 from 110?

I don't know what you mean...

>Didn't know any better. I'm still new to the netmask thing. I thought
>they all had to match up (within their networks, ie all 192.168's that

They do, but the default gateway ends up having an address of 0.0.0.0
(which means "default"), and if you set up a netmask it may only be
using that default gateway for packets destined to 0.0.0.0-32 or whatever.

>need to speak need to have the same subnet). My interpretation was that
>you could have two separate 192.168 networks that won't clash by using
>different netmasks.

That's correct, but that doesn't mean that you want that netmask on your
default route.

>two packets were coming in with the same IP so I made sure I eliminated
>any sockets (correct term??) before using Linux.

If two machines are using the same IP address, the slowest one will get
most of the traffic.  On a network segment, packets aren't sent out with
your IP address marking the packet, they're sent out using the MAC address.
The last machine to answer an ARP request is the one who's MAC address will
be the one that packets get sent to.

Using one IP on two machines is a sin.  ;-)

>TCI's gateway ----- to ---- Infinite madness (the net)
>route add -net default gw 24.15.40.129 (w/o the netmask this time)

That sounds right.

>my IP (24.15.40.242) ----------- to ----- TCI's gateway
>This is taken care of by the above default route.

No, but it's probably taken care of by your ifconfig.
It'd be something like:

	route add -net 24.15.40.128 netmask 255.255.255.128 dev eth0

(just taking a guess at the netmask)

>192.168.0.0/24 ------ to ------- 24.15.40.242 (or TCI's gateway)

You do not route the 192.168.0.0 network to the public Internet.  The
Internet doesn't know how to return packets to that IP.  You'll have
to set up your Linux machine to do masquerading of those IPs.

Your machines on that network need to have routes of:

	route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
	route add default gw 192.168.0.254 metric 1

where 192.168.0.254 is your Linux machine running masquerading.

>to the faster machine I _think_ part of my problem is that I need to load
>dos and use the manufacturer's config app for my card. Am I wrong?? Once

I don't know, but it sounds like you're having some sort of problem with
your card.

Sean
--
 If you don't have time to do it right, when will you ever find time to do
 it over?