[Re: [lug] Lock up?]

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Mon Jul 24 12:50:54 MDT 2000

Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:
> You might have a flakey power supply, I might have been too warm in the
> room, something might have thumped it pretty solidly,...

A flaky power supply is possibe considering the case is 5 years old. Maybe
I'll get a new power supply. Room temperature is doubtful, otherwise one of my
other 3 linux boxes should have had a similiar problem  :)

> My box did this rather regularly for a short period, the only gotcha is
> that after it died and I tried to reboot it, none of the pushbuttons
> would respond to input.

This box also rebooted or locked up regularly a while back. Turned out being
hardware issues. I narrowed it down to a bad/old motherboard (only after
replacing RAM, video card, nic's, cpu, and harddrive  :/). I replaced the
motherboard and it's worked like a charm til this.

> I would look in /var/log/messages and see if you notice anything out of
> the ordinary there.  Of course, I never found anything either.

Logs were useless...like someone said in a different reply, I think the cpu
just froze not allowing anything to be reported. Probably from
overheating...Anyone have suggestions for good cpu case mountable fans??

> Good luck, maybe you've got evil spirits from M$ attacking your machine,
> try the jig and the chopsticks to exorcise them :)

I opted for the banging of the head on the desk and throwing my stuffed
penguins across the room on this one  :)

Thanks,
Justin