[lug] Call for Participants: Database talk for August meeting

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jul 26 11:34:41 MDT 2000

The August meeting will be a bunch of short presentations about
databases.  Right now we have the following databases covered:

   Aspen Database (Kevin King)
   SQL Anywhere (George Sexton)
   PostgreSQL (Sean Reifschneider)

If anyone would be interested in giving a 15-minute mini-presentation on
other databases, please contact me and we'll get the ball rolling.  It
would be nice to see the following represented:

   MySQL
   msql
   ADABASE
   Oracle
   Solid
   Informix

or any others that people are interested in demonstrating.  Here's the
proposed outline which gives the information we're expecting each
presenter to cover (any input on this would be appreciated as well):

   Introduction
      Who you are
      Copying
         Cost
         License
         Open Source?
   Capabilities
      Standards conformance
      Commonly requested features
         Transactions
         Subselects
         GUI Clients
      Toolkits for what languages/interfaces
         C, Perl, Python, PHP, Zope
      Platforms
         Server
         Clients
   Strengths
   Weaknesses
   Examples
      For example, a quick demonstration of SQLAnywhere's replication would be
            nice)
   For Further Information
      URLs

Thanks,
Sean
--
 "You can tune a file-system, but you can't tune a fish."
       --  Quote from tunefs(1M) man page