[lug] So now we're a bunch of communists, eh?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jul 31 10:18:01 MDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 06:49:06AM -0600, B O'Fallon wrote:
> Steve Ballmer, at Microsoft's annual financial analysts meeting in
> Seattle (the full article is here:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12266.html):
>
> "Linux is a tough competitor. There's no company led Linux, there's
> barely a Linux road map. Yet Linux sort of springs organically from the
> earth. And it had, you know, the characteristics of communism that
> people love so very, very much about it. That is, it's free."
>
> -----------
>
> I have in my lifetime been called many, many things (some good, some not
> so good) but no one until now has dared called me a communist. Perhaps a
> better term for Linux users would be "anarchists." Or, we since they
> want something for free, how about "misers"?
>
> But communists? Never!

Libertarian (without the silly U.S. political party system's baggage)
seems more appropriate to me.

Ballmer's an ass.  He's always talkin' smack, but I suppose I would too
if I were as egotistical as he and believed that my software was so
important to have that everyone on the planet NEEDED it.

Sorry... (rant-mode off now).  It's Monday.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>