[lug] Firewall != Linux, Was -> Broadband

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Tue Aug 1 07:28:31 MDT 2000

>For all those who have or want cable modems or DSL, you should look
>into using the Linksys BEFSR41 firewall instead of a computer.  Yeah,
>it's a lot of fun to play around with Linux firewalling and such, but
>if you want something that firewalls, does DHCP, NAT, port forwarding,
>etc. for your network AND has a 4-port switch in it for only
>$160...this is your product!

Not to mention, Linux is not a firewall.  Linux is Linux, complete
with thousands of people scouring source code looking for security
holes so they can hack your box, attack NASA, and Men in Black will
show up at your door.

True story.

If you aren't running a "real" firewall (and we could debate ad
infinitum how real Linksys is) then you are probably exposed.
Period.  We recommend an external appliance, maybe the Linksys fits
your requirements, maybe Watchguard or Sonicwall does.

>No, this isn't an advertisement for Linksys.  I just cringe when I
>hear about people using their linux machines to do lots of packet
>filtering that is unnecessary.
>
>Also, if you think for a second that hooking your cable modem directly
>into your computer is safe, think again.  You've just put your
>computer straight on the Internet for script kiddies to beat the crap
>out of.
>
>Thus endeth the sermon.
>
>--
>PC Drew

You could go for another 15 minutes and people will still think that
their Linux box is a great firewall and how could they possibly be a
victim.

*None* of our customers running a commercial firewall have been
hacked.  Plenty of Linux customers have.

Chris
Peak to Peak Internet
http://www.peakpeak.com