[lug] Broadband

D. Duke Smith duke at firstworld.net
Tue Aug 1 08:36:57 MDT 2000

Alan Robertson wrote:

> PC Drew wrote:
> >
> > For all those who have or want cable modems or DSL, you should look
> > into using the Linksys BEFSR41 firewall instead of a computer.  Yeah,
> > it's a lot of fun to play around with Linux firewalling and such, but
> > if you want something that firewalls, does DHCP, NAT, port forwarding,
> > etc. for your network AND has a 4-port switch in it for only
> > $160...this is your product!
> >
> > No, this isn't an advertisement for Linksys.  I just cringe when I
> > hear about people using their linux machines to do lots of packet
> > filtering that is unnecessary.
> >
> > Also, if you think for a second that hooking your cable modem directly
> > into your computer is safe, think again.  You've just put your
> > computer straight on the Internet for script kiddies to beat the crap
> > out of.
>
> On the other hand, it's REALLY CPU-cheap to do it on Linux.  My setup cost me
> $100.  I bought a 486/33 for $50, and put two NICs in it for about $20 each.  To
> run my 256K DSL through it requires 10% of the CPU, even when it's running
> 450kbits/sec (which it often does).  This machine will also host my wireless
> network, when I get around to adding it ;-)
>
> On the other hand a 4-port switch costs $80-90 each, so the Linksys sounds like
> a pretty good deal.
>
>         -- Alan Robertson
>            alanr at suse.com

If you already have a hub, you can get the Linksys BEFSR11 - without the
4-port piece - from Amazon for $106. If it works as a FW router, you can
always layer your FW with Linux as a Bastion Host, even put an internal
(ether-to-ether) router between it & your LAN hub. Very hard to bust.
5 years ago it cost about $3K for a bilevel router to do this @ only
10MBPS ehter speed!