[lug] Firewalls

D. Duke Smith duke at firstworld.net
Tue Aug 1 11:15:04 MDT 2000

David Morris wrote:

> The recent discussion on firewalls for DSL/Cable has brought up this
> question:
>
> What benefits, increased security, etc. does a stanalone firewall
> (such as the linksys BEFSR41 mentioned) have over a LINUX box running
> a firewall?
>
> Is it simply a matter of open source code?  Does the visibility of
> LINUX code decrease security because anyone can search through it for
> holes, or does it increase security by allowing anyone to go in and
> fix those holes as fast as possible?
>
> I am not looking for product endorsements, but rather a reason to use
> one version of a firewall over the other.
>
> --David

David -

There R many good books on the subject of FW's. I think ??'s
comments on a standalone router vs Linux are valid. Part of that is
the KISS (Keep It Simple Sweetheart) principal & availability of
source code is a big security issue. Like, a HW/firmware box
is harder to poke your nose into. I used to use $3K Livingston
bilevel routers but any more you can get 10 times that for $200.
Progress is our most important product....

Contact me offline if you want some ISBN's or titles. Very complex
issue.
--
Duke Smith
WebIQ, Ltd.

"Never ask a mathematician to balance your checkbook."
                         - Bubba RomDOS