[lug] Firewall what a flare of experience

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Aug 1 16:08:35 MDT 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Chris M wrote:

> Think about it.  Every year some big outfit like the FBI or some government
> agency (or the New York Times) that has an IT budget that rivals the GNP of
> some countries manages to get hacked from the outside. These are outfits
> that can buy the best, and have good people.
>
> They are not using Linux for firewalls, if they were, they wouldn't be
> around long.

NIST was hacked about a year ago because it had NO firewall at all.
Several of us had recommended that we set one up, but the corporate
culture didn't find it sufficiently important.  It took a serious event to
change that.  Often it has nothing to do with "being able to buy the
best".

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)