[lug] Firewall != Linux, Was -> Broadband

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Aug 1 17:20:44 MDT 2000

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 05:02:06PM -0600, Chris M wrote:
>Easily refutable.  What is easier to steal, a car with the keys in the
>ignition and the doors unlocked or one without?  Even for an experienced

It's not about what is *EASIER*.  The question is "which one is more likely
to be attacked".  It's regularly stated when discussing alarms that if a
theif wants your car, it's as good as gone.  A Ferrari without keys in
the ignition is a more likely target than a rusted out '79 Honda
CVCC.  An anology doesn't refute my statement though...

>Open source removes many barriers to entry.  No one said closed source is
>perfect, but it is definitely *harder* to crack.

I believe you're quoting the DVD encryption folks there, aren't you?

I stated a fact, again and again closed schemes have been proven to have
huge security vulnerabilities in them.  That's not just a sound bite,
that's something that the DVD encryption is just the most recent in a
long line of them...  What is it, in light of repeated demonstrations
to the contrary, that leads you to believe otherwise?

Sean
--
 "Fixing Unix is easier than living with NT."  -- Jonathan Gilpin