[lug] Speakers

Timothy Klein teece at hypermall.net
Tue Aug 1 19:15:48 MDT 2000

On my old Compaq the speakers expected an unamplified signal.  I guess the sound
card that was built into the mother board did the amping.  On my more recent PCs
the three audio cards I had (SB16, Ensoniq, ESS Solo1) the sound card expected
the amping to be done OUTSIDE the PC by the speakers.  Thus, my old compaq
speakers would not work with any of these cards.  Could be something like that.

HTH,

Tim

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 08:08:34PM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > Gary Hodges wrote:
> > >
> > > Are low price PC speakers all the same functionality-wise?
> >

> > I've found a number of speakers have low quality connectors that die.
> > Many are corroded or tarnished right out of the factory. As far as hum
> > goes, it could be from a cheap power supply, or it could be picked up
> > from inside the machine by unshielded cables. If it doesn't work, make
> > sure the connectors didn't die.
>
> I'll do a double check tomorrow, but if everything seems fine (remember
> that I verified they worked with another computer), what fundamental
> reason could there be for them not to work on my machine?
>
> Gary

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==