[lug] Netstat (newbie)

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Tue Aug 1 20:07:08 MDT 2000

At 06:56 PM 8/1/00 -0700, Jeffrey B. Siegal wrote:
>Michael Deck wrote:
> > result of a belief that "anything can have security holes, the more
> > stuff you have running the more security holes"
>
>Somewhat
>
> > or do you have specific knowledge of Samba problems?
>
>Yes and no.  It isn't that I know of any specific Samba problems right
>now (if I did, I would get in touch with the maintainers and make sure
>they got fixed immediately).  It is just that Samba is a large and
>complex piece of software, with many opportunities for security bugs.
>There have been security bugs in Samba before, and I would be very
>surprised if more such holes were not found in the future.

Agreed. I have some exposures that I'm living with temporarily. My setup is a typical two-NIC routing firewall that masquerades a set of boxes behind it. For simplicity I have a web server and ftp server on the same box as the firewall but I realize there is some exposure in each of these packages. It's my intention to upgrade everything and "do it right" (at least, as far as Chris M will allow <grin>) but it'll still probably be a Linux firewall.

And yes, I'm one of those that Chris would call a "case study": Linux newbie, security newbie, outdated hardware running the firewall, too much stuff on the firewall, too much other work to do that keeps me from applying all the patches etc. I suppose I'll get hurt one day and I should really reform. I should lose weight, too.

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.