[lug] SQL and JAVA on Linux

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Wed Aug 2 06:11:06 MDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 12:43:18AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:

> I think more than one of the popular databases probably can cluster over
> 2 gig per, depending on which one. So I guess the "over 2 gig" is
> indirectly disqualified as a "bad thing" on several brands.

Well, once  2gig was a pretty strong limit given by the operating
system. If you have a look at the manpage for fseek(3)  you'll find
a function signature of

 int fseek(FILE *stream, long offset, int whence)
                         ^^^^
this makes files > 2gig pretty hard to handle, there would
be some spots you can't reach ...
But most 'industrial strength' databases offered to use so-called
raw devices. On those the database application would handle access
of the storage system without using any of the operating systems
interfaces.

  Ralf