[lug] Firewall what a flare of experience

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Aug 2 12:37:39 MDT 2000

Nate Duehr wrote:

<snip>

> > > ADVICE:  Disable VBA, only run the latest Java VM, you may even look into
> > > running a browser with less functionality.  I am daring enough to run Netscape
> > > but I don't run IE or Outlook Express for e-mail.
> >
> > Note that these are problems on the most heavily traveled platforms.  And
> > you can force this with SMS can't you?
>
> There are plenty of exploits for Netscape also.  Running Netscape makes
> you no safer than running any other browser.  And yes, any IT group
> worth their salt will find ways to keep the apps on the user desktop
> upgraded.  (Login script installations on NT, etc etc etc...)

<snip>
I didn't intend to say that Netscape is safe - that's why I said "daring enough to run N.".  I find it safer than IE because it doesn't execute VBA unless you install extra software.  It is also becoming a niche product (except for Linux) and hence there are fewer script kiddies and hackers looking for security problems in it.
Less functionality is usually SAFER - and there are many browsers out there that have less functionality than Netscape and are less common = safer.

It is a compromise between security and functionality!

Ferdinand