[lug] LPRng and RH 7.0

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Aug 3 09:28:13 MDT 2000

Some of you may remember the problems I've had at work with network printing.
LPD would hang if I assigned more than 5 printers to a Linux server, and it
would also hang if a single network printer was unresponsive.

I finally bit the bullet and installed LPRng, and so far its performance has
been flawless - even with 10 printers to manage, and my attempts to confuse it
by turning off network printers.

Red Hat seems to have seen the light on this, since RH 7.0 (beta) comes with
LPRng.  If anyone is interested in trying it out, let me know, and I'll burn
CDs for you in exchange for a couple of blanks (yep, 7.0 is big enough for 2
CDs).

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge