[lug] NIC fact/fiction

Brian Jarrett BrianJ at storagesoft.com
Fri Aug 4 12:31:22 MDT 2000

While it is definitely safer to make connections of any sort when everything
is powered down, it is just not practical in a lot of cases.  Also, much
technology is being produced around the idea of "hot-plugging" capability
(USB, SCSI drives, Redundant Power Supplies, etc.)

PS/2 ports used to require the system to be powered down before
connecting/disconnecting devices, but most other peripheral connections do
not require you to power down the computer.  Regarding most peripherals, I
will only power them on once it is connected to the computer.  Bringing the
computer down every time I connect a device would be an admin headache
(especially when the machines are servers!)

Brian