[lug] Wireless nic / home network nic..?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Aug 4 15:02:54 MDT 2000

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 01:17:11PM -0600, Andrew Reberry wrote:
>Anyone know of any linux friendly, and fairly low cost cards that fit
>the above?  Speed is not number one concern, but is of some importance.
>(I obviously don't want to be getting something like 1 or 2mbs.)

The phone line networks are well under 1mbps I believe.  The wireless
cards come in two configurations: 2Mbps for the webgear.com Aviator
cards, which run around $80 per card, and 11Mbps for the other
ones (Cisco, Proxima, etc) which run around $170 per card.

These are all PCMCIA cards, which you can use a PCMCIA/PCI or
PCMCIA/ISA bridge to use in a desktop.  THe webgear at $80/per
comes with an ISA card.

At $1700 to hook up your computers, with speed a concern, you probably
should consider wiring up your house.  Depending on your layout, it may
or may not be easy to do.  I ran a dozen or so jacks throughout my house
and it works great.  I routed a channel into the baseboards, ran cable
behind them, then used remodeling boxes to install them -- they look
like they were put in when the house was built.

The cost was around $500 -- 1kfoot of cat-5 plenum, and the modular
faceplates and all.  Plus a bunch of time.

Sean
--
 Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour...
 Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.