[lug] LPRng and RH 7.0

D. Duke Smith duke at firstworld.net
Thu Aug 3 16:29:27 MDT 2000

Answer: Some of the above!

I got a LinkSys box w/a RJ45 & 3 || ports. It talks
TickPip & is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for
the HPJetDirect box (@ < 1/2 the cost - & I've had
pretty good luck w/other LS prods). Enny ways, it
seems to have an Xport protocol ontop of which TCP/IP
trundles. I'll let you know how it goes! Maybe I'll
let my WinDOS machines be the print servers. The way
these things are set up, the printer or printer node
needn't be "owned" by any particular host - that's the
way I set them up on Solaris (Sparc) systems for a
couple of clients. There's some hpjetdirect software
for setting this all up on SunOS/Solaris, but I disremember
exactly how it works.