[lug] JAVA and Apache.

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Mon Aug 7 12:37:55 MDT 2000

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 01:22:45PM -0400, John Starkey wrote:
> > What do you mean by 'uploading' a program. Are you talking
> > about Java Applets, which is just some datafile for the server
> > and therefore can't be harmfull for the server?
>
> I was really talking about servlets (although I didn't know it at the
> time.) I have uploaded several applets and couldn't get them to execute
> using iMac and IE and Netscape. I went to sun.com and used one of their
> test engines. Said my browsers were ignoring the applet tag. And my
> browsers say "applet error: closeing".

Is that all your browser says? Have you had a look at the output
on the 'Java Console' of your browser (on Netscape/Linux that is
under 'Comunicator > Tools > Java Console').

If you have <applet> - tags than that would be an <applet> and
not a servlet. Since this is code that gets executed on the client
side there should be no problem puting it on the server.

 Ralf