[lug] residential T1

B. Allyn ballyn at catacom.com
Mon Aug 7 20:14:33 MDT 2000

The Coop is not terribly proactive about bandwidth (they've had the same
DS3s for a long time, now, I believe), but I haven't noticed that they
oversubscribe a great deal (except by weighting towards that damn BBN pipe,
which sucks).

Someone mentioned Rockynet as a T-1 provider; that's who we use. They have a
DS3 into the Coop, as well as a DS3 to C&W, and a newly installed DS3 into
UUNet.

The difference between Rockynet and the Coop is that the Coop is, well, a
co-op, while Rockynet is an ISP. Currently, the Coop is showing $810 for the
first year of T-1 connectivity, plus a $500 setup, plus the $100 yearly
membership fee. That doesn't include the circuit, which will run about
$150-300 a month, as well as the routers, which are expensive.

Rockynet's currently listing $450/month for a T-1. You'll still have to buy
the circuit and the routers, though.

They also have a POP somewhere near Gunbarrel that they can terminate T-1s
at for those folks out there far away from the CO.

Now, if you can just get everyone in the condo-park to sign on and run cat-5
in through your window...

Good luck,
B. Allyn