[lug] LS120/2.2.16-3 kernel/scsi emul

Ruskell Todd G Todd.Ruskell at Colorado.EDU
Tue Aug 8 21:10:46 MDT 2000

Hi all,

A friend of mine has come across the problem below, and has found at least
one work-around.  Do any of you know of a better/more elegant solution?

I ran across a problem with a machine using the
latest 2.2.16-3 kernel.  The machine has an IDE
LS120 and CDRW installed.  The kernel also has
SCSI emulation support enabled.
The problem is that when the kernel booted up
and probed the scsi devices, the LS120 ALWAYS
was recognized as a read-only device.  It didn't
matter if the LS120 had a floppy/superdisk in it
or was physically write protected/enabled.   I was
not successful in finding any docs or posts with
people having the same problem.  Instead of
letting this problem keep me from my other duties,
I decided just to "use the source" and recompile
the kernel.

I am posting this in case there are others that run
into the problem and either know the fix or cannot
find a fix.

/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/sd.c      Line position # 1475

the diff is :

1475c1475
<      rscsi_disks[i].write_prot = 1;
---
>      rscsi_disks[i].write_prot = 0;

The first one is the original write protect default enable.
The second is the changed result to write protect default
disable.

Thanks,

Todd