[lug] residential T1

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 9 02:13:47 MDT 2000

Thanks for the offer, I was merely curious about the costs on them, but
they sound like a lot of fun and useful for many applications.

At work, our shop is so Cisco-minded they wouldn't know what a Linux
router could even do, let alone ever think one might be necessary...
sigh.

My latest interest/addiction is reading about various (not in Denver)
mailing lists and web sites dedicated to the engineers building wireless
ISP's.  Amazing what they're doing with cheap hardware, and the folks
doing the engineering of most of the companies doing this seem to be the
highly intelligent type who don't mind tinkering with Linux/BSD machines
to do stuff like direct T1 connections, etc... power consumption and
overall capital costs seem to drive them to, shall we say, "interesting"
solutions sometimes.

The folks on those lists would probably buy up your extra card in a
heartbeat if you really want to get rid of it!  :)

Anyway, I'm wondering how many folks on this list have ever used or
played with wireless net access of any kind... what were your
impressions?