[lug] FTP services - disarming daemon

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 9 02:20:16 MDT 2000

Speaking of TCP Wrappers, if you know for SURE what machines you'll need
to access your FTP from, you could do an /etc/hosts.allow entry ONLY for
those machines and @home's stupid scanner would get rejected which
wouldn't trigger them to turn off your service.  :)

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 10:02:35PM -0600, PC Drew wrote:
> JS> I'm using @home and I think the are detecting a service on my computer and
> JS> shutting me down, as someone on the list (sorry, I lost that message)
> JS> mentioned they'd heard they do. I would really like to have ftp for my own
> JS> use but looks like that's not even possible. DSL it is once I move next
> JS> month.
>
> I could be wrong, but I don't think they're doing any filtering.

I can't find the reference, but the Debian folks on irc.openprojects.net
have a URL in one of the IRC bots that lists out @home's "world
domination" plan... (heh heh).  They do random port-scanning and shut
off service of folks running SMTP, FTP, and HTTP servers... but not in
all areas.

I won't do business with "ISP's" who block things.  That's what my
firewall systems are for.  :)

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>