[lug] ISDN modems

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Aug 9 12:18:06 MDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 11:31:08AM -0600, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>Do any of you have recommendations for ISDN routers (with built-in
>firewall) that I could set up and then expect to serve some completely
>computer illiterate folks for some time?

Microcom makes one that's pretty expensive ($800).  Netgear's is pretty
cheap ($400), but it has some problems with masquerading, and the software
upgrade that was promised well over a year ago never seemed to materialize.
The Cisco 1600s are also reasonably expensive but they do have full NAT
and firewalling.  Netopia had one that works, but it was fairly hard
to configure to to auto-redial.  I've found the Ascend Pipeline's to be
somewhat hard to manage in the past, but I think they've gotten better.

Were I to choose today, I'd probably go with the Netgear, but the Cisco
or Microcom may be better for you.  The Microcom had some pretty friendly
Windows software for configuring it, and does NAT pretty well

Sean
--
 I have a large collection of sea shells, which I keep scattered on beaches
 around the world.  Maybe you've seen it...  -- Steven Wright