[lug] Motherboards

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Aug 9 12:35:28 MDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 12:25:16PM -0600, Chris Riddoch wrote:
>Recommendations?

I'd recommend staying away from ABit, of the last 4 ABit Celeron socket 370
boards I've gotten, three of them have issues.  I need to look at updating
the BIOS, but the issue is that they sporadicly won't POST if the CD-ROM
is hooked up.

I've had mixed luck with Tyan boards, though the more recent boards I've
gotten have been better.  I had some BIOS issues with the Intel-made i810
boards, but once I updated the BIOS it was MUCH happier.  I've had limited
exposure to FIC boards, but have been happy with the ones I have used.
While hard to get, the Gigabyte NLX boards have been rock solid for us.
I haven't used ASUS in a very long time -- I had very bad luck with them,
mostly longer-term failures (you know, just after the warranty ran out),
though one in particular would not run with the L2 cached enabled and
my vendor would only send me new cache, which never fixed the problem.

Sean
--
 "I was just thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said
 ``I drank what?''"  -- Chris Knight, _Real_Genius_