[lug] MEAS Data file format

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Aug 11 15:58:08 MDT 2000

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Bruce Raup wrote:

> BTW, how are you pronouncing MEAS?  Does it rhyme with peas, or is it like
> mess?

None of the above.  I figure that it is short for MEASurement.  That's the
best name I could think of at the time.  I'm open for suggestions.

Oh, and I though of another reason to use this form rather than XML.  I
can feed the meas file directly to my graphing program (Gnuplot) without
modification. It should also import easily into a spreadsheet as an ASCII
grid.  To use XML I think you'd need a tag parser to separate these data
from the tags so the graphing and analysis programs would understand.

Now when XML becomes widespread and the data analysis and plotting
programs understand it that will really be something!

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)