[lug] Seti at home

Timothy Klein teece at hypermall.net
Fri Aug 11 18:33:19 MDT 2000

Wayde,

You know, I had never really thought about it.  I just believed them.  Hmmm...?
Well, I think it is most likely that they are doing SETI work, but the other
possibilities do exist.  I do watch my machine fairly closely, though, and Seti
only makes outside connections when it finishes a work unit, and then to the
same place for a short time.

Got me thinking.

Tim

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 09:33:48AM -0600, Wayde Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Timothy Klein wrote:
>
> > and my Seti at home times-per-work-unit went from time around 25 hours to around
> > 7 hours.
>
> I have a really dumb question about Seti at home.  A while back I was curious
> about this service and visited their web page.  One thing that seemed
> curiously missing for a service that people should volunteer to run on
> their home systems was a clear and concise description of the software,
> the analyses to be done, the organization responsible for this code, and
> especially a guarantee or some degree of assurance that it actually does
> what they say it does.  With the current worry about network security I
> find it interesting how commonly distributed accross the net this program
> is without these kinds of assurances.  I haven't checked their web site
> lately so perhaps this has changed, but I guess what I wonder is how do
> you know that your machine is really working on Seti data rather than
> perhaps chewing on some encryption breaking code?
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==