[lug] dumpdates

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Aug 11 19:57:49 MDT 2000

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 07:51:52PM -0600, Chris Riddoch wrote:
>> Hey... Hugh.... so uhhh... member last night when I expressed my concern
>> about making my box... well.... unbootable????

If you're mucking with the kernel, it's usually a good idea to have a
boot floppy available.  Especially if you also run NT.  :-(

>and suspect it *could* do something bad if you didn't do it right,
>make a copy of it.

In general good advice, except if you're on a redhat machine and you're
working in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts on the "ifcfg-eth0" script,
rename it to "old.ifcfg-eth0".  The boot scripts look for any file
starting with ifcfg- and try to bring up the interface.  This can
cause lots of problems if you name the script "ifcfg-eth0.old".

Sean
--
 Rocky: "Do you know what an A-Bomb is?"
 Bullwinkle: "Of course.  ``A Bomb'' is what some people call our show."