[lug] Seti at home

Mike McCallister mmccallister at reporters.net
Fri Aug 11 22:14:06 MDT 2000

Wayde (and others),

Admittedly, in the early days the SETI at home site was pretty barren of
information. This is no longer the case. A good place to start is:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/learnmore.html. From there, you'll get a
fairly popularized description of what's going on. There's a separate page
(accessible from the URL above) that describes what exactly the screen
saver shows, and a FAQ page at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/faq.html.

Ultimately, this is a project of the UC Berkeley Space Sciences Lab (no
ordinary hackers, here), with a bunch of corporate sponsors and the
Planetary Society. For the truly skeptical, the Project Director, David  P.
Anderson, has a mailto: link on the site: davea at ssl.berkeley.edu. It says
here he wrote the client.

I just passed my 100th data unit, so I haven't been doing it as much as
others (I had a painfully slow machine for a long time), but I've never
given it a second thought. They are certainly generating some data!

Mike M
(who really envies Sean's .sig generator)