[lug] dumpdates

John Starkey jstarkey at ajstarkey.com
Mon Aug 14 12:21:29 MDT 2000

Wayde thanks for this info.

You were right. I was looking at the Kernel as /lib, /bin, /src,
/proc, /boot, /sbin, /temp and /var. Probably a left over assumption from
the Windows and MacOS install features. Maybe the term is System instead
of Kernel. I assume at this point Mac and Windows also have a Kernel (for
lack of...).

Thinking that each of these would be modified for whatever I compile into
the kernel (and erased using make clean). So my grand plan was to rename
all of these, well except for /var and /tmp and start over, again,
thinking that I could boot via floppy, copy the kernel and sort through
the renamed files putting what I needed back in once I saw what the kernel
put in these dirs (when it created replacements.) I'm kinda glad it didn't
work out that way because the info you've given me makes me think the
kernel wouldn't rebuild the dirs I mentioned. And if it did I think it'd
take forever to figure out what everything was for and make the box
functional again.

Wow, long sentences.

So regarding the security aspect of modules. It is safe to leave them in
if the kernel doesn't support modules? What I'm trying to do is get down
to an "only what I need" state, without losing the existing functionality.
That way if something is in there I added it myself. Red Hat is great for
beginning the Linux trek, in my opinion, but if really want to know
what this box will do I need to know what's in here. And I'm not the type
that can read a book and know what everything does, no adrenaline
involved :}.

John