[lug] moving domains

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Aug 14 20:37:27 MDT 2000

I live in the Siberian district of Longmont, where there is no DSL, no
cable, and ISDN requires a booster. Basically, my first choice for
anything beyond a 56k (the area phone lines do not work with DSL) is a
T1. So I'm considering getting a commercial web at my ISP, using my own
domain. However, it lacks a lot of things, for example, I wanted to add
a cvs site for a few individuals, and the web servers do not allow
server side scripts, such as PHP or Python (javascripts bites the big
one, I only use it at work where I must). So I don't see this as a
permanent solution, but it would help temporarily. I've heard a few
horror stories though, concerning getting dns entries updated once a
domain is moved to another ISP. If I were to register a domain, keep it
at this ISP for a year, then eventually run my own when I get located
with a better connection, how much trouble would it be to transfer the
domain to the new site? Is this a pain? Is it a slow process? I'm
looking for opinions on how this would work.

Thanks,
D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com