[lug] Boulder Linux Users Group August 10, 2000 Meeting Summary

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Aug 15 15:06:42 MDT 2000

            Boulder Linux User's Group Meeting Summary

Attendance:  58

Synopsis:  Sean Reifscheider, Kevin King, Rob Nagler, and George Sexton
collaborated for this months presentation to bring us the "Texas
Steel-Cage Tag-Team Database Death-Match".  The idea was to get several
users of these various databases together so that they could provide us
with information about their respective databases.  In particular it was
hoped that this would be a good snapshot of the current state of database
technology available for the Linux system.  The databases covered were:

   - SQL Anywhere, George Sexton <gsexton at mhsoftware.com>

   - Oracle, Rob Nagler <nagler at bivio.com>

   - Aspen, Kevin King <kevin at PrecisOnline.com>

   - MySQL, Sean Reifschneider <jafo-dbtalk at tummy.com>

   - PostgreSQL, Sean Reifschneider <jafo-dbtalk at tummy.com>

Not surprisingly there was a LOT of material covered.  The overview slides
for the presentation can be found at
<http://www.tummy.com/jafo/2000-08-10-BLUG/>.  Other URL's of interests
are:

   PostgreSQL:  http://www.postgresql.org/

   SQL Anywhere:
      http://www.sybase.com/
      nntp://forums.sybase.com/
      http://www.linuxhq.com/lg/issue18/sybase.html (Python and Perl info)

   Oracle:
      http://www.oracle.com/linux/
      http://technet.oracle.com/tech/linux/
      http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-04/lw-04-oracle8i_p.html

   Aspen:  http://www.PrecisOnline.com/

   MySQL:  http://www.mysql.org/

Due to the bulk of material covered this was one of our longer meetings.
Nevertheless, we still managed to field several general Linux related
questions, and wrapped up the evening with our monthly door prize drawing
followed by the usual post meeting socializing.

Next Month's Meeting:  September 14, 2000;  Ken Weinert <kenw at ihs.com>
will be talking about the CVS (software revision control)  package.