[lug] colocation

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Aug 15 18:50:32 MDT 2000

I was pondering (trademark pinky and the brain) the difference in price
between buying web space at an existing ISP machine, versus putting my
own hardware in via colocation. My local ISP charges $35/mo for a
restricted web site, and $200/mo for colocation that has a 20 gig/month
transfer included at that price. I'm interested in the web page, but
also in a private cvs and running a game server on it at the same time,
so colocation has a very big advantage there. But at $200/mo, the
increase is a lot over $35/mo. What kind of range of cost have people
here found for server colocation with similar bandwidth (this is
non-commercial for me, so cost does matter)?