[lug] booting and kernel compiling (was dumpdates)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Aug 16 17:41:22 MDT 2000

Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, John Starkey wrote:
>
> > > The kernel is really just a
> > > standardized interface to the system hardware.
> >
> > Ok, to be philosophical. What you're saying is that the kernel really
> > doesn't have anything to do with keeping the insides going, actively. I
> > guess that makes sense. Cron though, it get's executed something
> > what would that be? I assume it's fed from the internal clock (not the
> > bios right, bios is only the initial boot mechanism)?
>
> I'm not sure I follow.  The kernel is your interface to the hardware.  If
> as you say it has nothing to do with keeping the insides going I wouldn't
> need to buy a computer.
>
> Cron is a computer program.  It isn't a part of the kernel.  Yes, it uses
> the system clock.  You are correct that the bios is just the initial boot
> mechanism.  Once Linux starts the bios is no longer relevant.
>
> > > It doesn't have a reason
> > > or desire to call the mv command.  That is where you come into the
> > > picture.  You were the one who tried to invoke that command.  The path is
> > > part of the shell environment that you interact with.
> >
> > The mv command doesn't even use the kernel then. Pass any arguments??
>
> Huh ... ?
...snip...

Just for fun, anyone who wants to see exactly when the kernel is used,
investigate strace. strace follows system calls, which are kernel hooks,
and prints them out in a pseudo-C syntax. The -oLogName.txt will log to
LogName.txt instead of the monitor. In particular, check out commands
that appear to only depend on libc and the linker...the system call list
will be enormous.