[lug] Purple book?

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Sat Aug 19 12:22:39 MDT 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Jim McMaster wrote:

> The "Red Book" is the second edition of the"Unix System Administration
> Handbook", by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass and Trent R. Hein,
> published by Prentice Hall PTR, ISBN 0-13-151051-7.  I presume there is a
> third edition coming soon with a purple cover.

Yep. RSN. Evi said that she heard that it at the bindery this week, so we
should see it any day now

from fatbrain:

http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0130206016&from=nfu595

Summary
This major revision of the best-selling and single most comprehensive
guide to UNIX system administration is ideal as both an introductory
tutorial for those new to system administration and a day-to-day reference
for "power administrators." Practical and hands-on in approach, it covers
every aspect of system administration — from basic topics to UNIX
esoterica — and provides explicit instructions for dealing with the six
most popular versions of UNIX.

Covers topics such as:

The Filesystem
Controlling Processes
Serial Devices
Periodic Processes
Backups
Syslog and Log Files
Configuring the Kernel
TCP/IP and Routing
The Domain Name System
The Network File System
Sharing System Files
SLIP and PPP
The Internet
Security
Printing and Imaging
Disk Space Management
Accounting
UUCP

-Ian
--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,